I have forgotten to update about The Baking. Oh yes, the baking. I loves it. I love combining egg, butter, flour, whisks and bowls and heating it all up and getting a cake or a biscuit or another cakey-bakey-biscuity thing out of it all.
It was my daughter’s first birthday on Saturday, and in preparation for the event, I baked. I baked so much that I caused myself a shattered-baker’s injury (grated my thumb when making carrot cake fairy cakes. Le Sob). But do you know what? I loved it.
So…what did I bake? Loads. I had a partyette on the Friday for The Baybeh and two baby friends (plus their mums. don’t worry, i wasnt left wrangling three tiddlers on my own. heaven forbid – how terrifying would that be? don’t answer that…). Anyhoo – this is what I baked (and where from):
- Cheesy bready straw things – came from Gill Rapley’s Baby Led Weaning Cookbook. These are FANTASTIC. see www.babyledweaning.com for recipes and the like.
- Carrot muffins from the same cookbook. These were savoury much to my surprise! ha!
- plain butter shortcake type biscuits. which i then slathered in icing sugar.
- Mary Berry’s sponge cake traybake thing. It was a fairly simple 4 egg vanilla sponge with butter cream icing on top. But it tasted DIVINE.
- Carrot cake muffins (huzzah, not savoury in the slightest – full of sugar just the way it should be) with cream cheese icing. I can’t remember where i found the recipe, it was either the Baby Led Weaning Cookbook, one of my trillion Rachel Allen recipe books or Nigella Lawson’s How To Be a Domestic Goddess. Tasted fab-you-luss anyroad.
I didn’t manage to take many photos, but I did get one of the birthday cake. Now, I come from a “more is more” school of cake decoration. If i can add icing to something, i’ll add it. and then maybe a bit more. and possibly another sort of decoration. and text. and a candle. and a few biscuits. and…
here it is!
I blanked out the Baybeh’s name, that’s not a perfect rectangle of royal icing…
Anyway – we’ve just finished eating the cake. it really was lovely. I may have to bake another one soon…