While i’m on a roll…
I promised to blog about the toy car roll i made for my older nephew. he was two while we were down visiting and i thought that as part of a birthday present and part of a “you have a baby brother! here’s something nice to play with for you!”, i would make him a toy wrap and put in a few cars. Although i had a daft (i thought it was inspired, i was wrong) thought that i’d put in a couple of tractors as i knew he loved them. TRACTOOOOOOOORS! he loves tractors. the daft idea was around the type of tractors i bought. they were little die-cast type tractors with little trailers they could be attached to by dint of a tiny, tiny, ridiculously tiny pin and hole. and when i mean tiny, i mean the sort of size that is too fumbly for a toddler to manage and requires constant and immediate action from a parent or nearby grown up to fix. constant. (my sister in law hid the trailers after about half an hour. i don’t blame her. i apologised A LOT for the error.)
aaaanyhoo. the wrap fared a bit better i think.
So i did my usual “pattern” with a slight alteration. that makes me sound fairly professional, doesn’t it? like i have half an idea about what i’m going to do before i start hacking away at fabric with the big sharp scissors. i’ll keep that pretence going. the difference? i decided to use a difference colour of fabric on the inside of the pockets for the cars.
material – i went for boyish this time, seeing as it was for a boy. the inside was a lovely fat quarter material with cars and roads and road signs on it, the outside a fairly muted blue and beige circle and start design. love them!
1 fat quarter of whatever fabric you like for the outside
1 fat quarter of whatever fabric you like for the inside
1 piece of totally different fabric approx 2/3 the width of the fat quarter
1 piece of wadding, about the size of a fat quarter. (i only used 1 piece as it’s a bit easier to roll up this way).
I cut the inside fat quarter fabric 1/3 from the end, so i had 1 piece 2/3 size and 1 piece 1/3 size. i then took the totally different piece of fabric (the 2/3 size) and folded it in half so that the “wrong side” was on top. i attached one end of it to the end of the 2/3 fat quarter and then put the other 1/3 fat quarter good side up over the top of the wrong side up totally different piece of fabric, and attched the ends together. this meant when i straightened it out, i has 2/3 one piece of material, 2/3 different, 1/3 piece of the first material. i folded it back up so that it looked like it was 1 fat quarter piece of material, but there, folded inside, was the totally different material. i then made a few stitches to hold this in place so that it formed a pocket.
then, after that i did the usual trick of sandwiching up the material with the wadding, stitched all around inside out bar a corner so i could then turn it all outside out again. finished off that gap and then was able to finish it.
the pocket i made, i stiched using the machine. just two straight lines to form 3 pockets, and then i let rip with my “quilting” – which is really just roaring around with the sewing machine until the noise does my head in. once i’d quilted what i wanted, i attached a bit of ribbon to the outside so that it could be tied up.