Sewing Projects

I’m making THE Easy Sew Skirt

Who else is inspired by “Me Made May”? I’m really inspired by the bloggers I see who have signed up to this and feel that whilst I’m not quite at the point where I can join in with “Me Made May”, one day I hope to have a small collection of clothes that a) I made and b) are actually wearable.

To kick start this, I thought I’d have a go at making something simple. A skirt! What could be simpler! So I turned to my trusty copy of “Sew Your Own Wardrobe” from the Great British Sewing Bee. See the skirt, read the instructions, make a pattern (once I realised after 20 minutes of looking at the paper patterns provided and rereading the instructions that I had to make the pattern…), cut the fabric and boom! Skirt!

Not *that* simple sadly. Like many other bloggers before me, I realised the dimensions given in the book (page 98) were totally wonky. I couldn’t make the pattern work on the dimension of fabric provided. Couldn’t work. No matter how I laid the pieces. No matter how many tiny hot tears of frustration I cried over the (now sodden) fabric. It just would. Not. Work. So I did what everyone else does, I googled and found the answer. It wasn’t me that was wrong! Oh frabjous day! The book was wrong.

The actual dimensions to cut out of the skirt piece are:

fold fabric, measure from the fold 17cm top and 22cm bottom, draw diagonal line from top to bottom. This, once unfolded, gives you a skirt piece of 34cm top and 44cm bottom. From then on it has been simple.

SO FAR. For this is a work-in-progress post. I always forget to take pictures until right at the end so thought that I’d do a WIP post for the first time.

image

Here is the fabric – -a lovely green  fabric with yellow lines on it. Saw the fabric and thought it would be perfect for the skirt. Here’s hoping…

The pattern calls for 4 skirt pieces to be cut, along with possible 2 waistband pieces (still not convinced I’ve got the right number). After a lot of time with my cutting wheel, I managed to mostly neatly cut out the pieces.

image

The book instructions suggest you make the pattern out of a newspaper page. I had no newspaper handy – there was a flurry of recycling just before I started which ruled that option out. But I do have quite a lot of paper chart pattern paper and some pattern plastic which I decided to make use of. I’ll keep the pieces to make more skirts, assuming I can pull this one off. Otherwise they will be recycled and never mentioned again. 

image

And now the final picture – the “where I got to before I started blogging this evening” picture. I’ve pinned all four skirt pieces together in readiness for sewing.  I’ll need to take a bit of a run up at it and hope with a fair wind and a napping baby I’ll be able to get this done in the next…ooh…year or so.

image

Advertisements
Uncategorized

When a project doesn’t really work…

What do you do when a project doesn’t really work out for you?

i was SO pleased with the Bina wrap thing I made a few months ago (feels like longer! It’s a whole human person’s lifespan AND MORE ago!) and had plans to use it ALL THE TIME. I just knew that this wrap would look really glamorous and classy and stylish and would transform me into one of those people other people stop to ask “I LOVE that wrap, where did you get it from?” And I’d be able to say, after swishing my hair over one shoulder in a stylish manner, “oh THIS? I made it myself”.

but.

there was something niggling away at me right from when it was completed. It didn’t sit quite right, something about the length or the arm holes didn’t look right. I told myself it was because of the gigantic baby bump I was sporting at the time, and put the wrap away to try again once the baby was born.

He has been here just over two months now and i had another try of the reps at the weekend. The lack of bump didn’t make a jot of difference, sadly. There was still something not quite right about the length. And the armholes were not right, even though I’d followed the instructions. I tried to wear it in different ways but no matter what I tried it still just looked like a heap of fabric draped over me in an unstylish and slightly haphazard manner.

i don’t have enough endless supplies of fabric to just leave this wrap bundled in the deepest corner of my sewing cupboard. And nor do I really want to – I love the purple colour. So I’ve decided that I’m going to make another top with it. Reusing the material I like in a pattern that is more wearable seems like a much more sensible thing to do.

At first I thought this was a failed project, but now I’m more inclined to think of it as a chance to see how resourceful I can be.  Wish me (lots) of luck!