I’ve been away for a long time so thought I’d update with a lengthy post (and title)! I have been busy, but not yet in a position to share all the makes with you. I’m knitting a baby blanket for a friend’s baby, sewing together a patchwork cushion cover for a Christmas present and sewing patchwork stockings for my two children and my two nephews. All in between looking after a baby that currently refused to sleep (hello teething!) and trying to run regularly as well as the usual day to day everything. Phew.
but what is this post about? A top i decided to make. Do you remember my Bina wrap (link here to the original post and here to when a project doesn’t really work) that I wasn’t happy with and decided to use the material for something else? Well I bought a magazine with a free pattern and thought the drapey purple jersey material would be perfect for it.
Its the Sophia top from Sew Simple. Really simple pattern, just front piece, back piece, facings for neck and arm holes. Simple.
i measured myself as needing a size 18 which in hindsight was too big but it did correspond with my bust measurement. Aaaaanyhoo. I laid out the pattern pieces once cut and realised that they result in a very short top. Very short. Like a crop top. So I added 4.5 inches to front and back pieces resulting in it being exactly just long enough. I also spent a bit of time thinking about the material and pattern – it’s a stretchy jersey material and knowing that some of my (cheaper) t shirts tend to stretch along the width, I wanted to avoid that with this. So I set out the patterns with the stretch going top to bottom as any extra stretch would add to the length (and I knew that would be good).
Careful pattern placing there… And you can see where I’ve added the extra length in the picture below.
All of this was done while the baby napped for a short amount of time. Cutting out happened over about an hour, then pinning and most of the sewing over an evening and I finished the final things tonight.
the pattern was easy to follow and the sewing itself was pretty straightforward. And I learned a lovely new technique which i lovingly refer to as “Pin All The Things”. To be brutally honest it actually use a few expletives while muttering this to myself. But the pinning everything helped me keep material flat and the stitching mostly straight.
see how nice the hemming is? That’s because I’ve pinned all the everything everywhere.
So I’ve finished the top. BUT it’s not quite right. The arm holes were MASSIVE and showed not just s bit of bra but half my boob. So I closed up half the armhole which led to the side of the top getting a pleat in it, thankfully on both sides so it looks nice and symmetrical and a bit more drapey too. The length of the top is also still a bit of a problem, the length is just right, but I would prefer it to be another 5 or 6 inches longer. I’m also not sure about how wide the neck is and still might sew it up by an nice on each side. I will wear it though as I need to start wearing the things i make! I love the colour of the fabric and the pattern itself with these tweaks will be lovely. I just need to figure out how to grade a smaller armhole and bring in the sides while adding length. No other changes though as I like the simple lines – I especially like the facings and think they look smart after i top stitched about an inch from the edge of each arm and neck and hem. Overall, this is a lovely and wearable pattern.
Thats not all though – I wanted to try out the pattern and discover the changes I’ll need to make when i make it again. I’ve already bought the fabric – flamingo style print – and I can’t wait to try it out. Woo!