RSS Feed

Tag Archives: No pattern top

Top of cloudy wonder

hello people! I am back from hibernation. And I’ve made myself a cracker of a top. I have literally just finished stitching it and already I love it. My top of cloudy wonder.

IMG_0501

Woah, massive poor quality selfie there. Sorry. But still, I love the top.

I’ve wanted a quirky raglan sleeve top for ages but couldn’t find one in the shops didn’t look that hard to be honest as I hate shopping and decided to do a bit of browsing on http://myfabrics.co.uk and found some lovely navy stretch jersey and some even lovelier bashful cloud jersey. Order made, I got the fabric delivered and as is now traditional, left it for about 4 months before I was brace enough to cut into it.

the pattern is…MY OWN. Yeah, amazeballs, right? It’s the same one I’ve used to make a few short sleeve tops and I cobbled the body and short sleeves together with sleeves from a GBSB pattern, just made narrower. I also narrowed the body pattern pieces as they were too wide, and raised the neck as the tops I’ve made are lower cut and suitable for tops but not for this jumper type thing I was hoping to make.

pattern cut, fabric cut, I then left the pieces for another traditional rest. Just a month this time.  After the rest, I tacked the sleeves and body pieces together to check the fit, and it was great so I didn’t need to tailor it or cut it any further. I’ve resisted tacking and trying on in the past as I thought it was a bit of a waste of time in the past, but it really helped knowing the top would fit before I sewed it up as I hate having to unstitch and restitch and YAWN.

I also decided to buy some stretch needles as I thought I probably should. Never used them before, I wasn’t really convinced there would be much difference in the stitching. Well HOW WRONG COULD I BE? This stitched like a DREAM with the proper stretch material needles. Who knew.

Ahem.

so, it came about easily enough. I used navy for the cuffs and body and the clouds for the sleeves and collar.  I only had one minor WTF moment when I pinned the hem cuff to the wrong side and had to unpin and repin. It was a 20 minute waste of time but I pushed on through and out it all back together the right way eventually.

IMG_0503I top stitched the cuffs because I like it

IMG_0504Not that you can see it. But it’s there and neat. Ah, look a top those bashful clouds. Lovely. And I did a double line of stitching along the collar. Not quite as neatly as I wanted but it’s good enough*

IMG_0505And that was that.

It is really comfortable and flattering to wear. My cloudy top of loveliness.

 

* good enough is, I’ve finally realised, actually good enough. I don’t need to see things perfectly in order to wear them. I mean, it’s not like clothes I buy are perfect. So why expect ridiculously high standards from myself when I don’t expect it from ready to wear clothes? Good enough is good enough.

The Patternless Top

I finished a top! I started and almost finished this top over a year ago, then the baby bump and newborn days got in the way so it was left almost-but-not-quite finished state until yesterday when I finally bit the bullet and finished it off.

I bought the fabric from a discount bin in Kings Fabrics in Glasgow about 18 months ago (yes really!) and it languished in the fabric stash for a while. Then I thought about copying a top from GAP that I really liked so with great precision (not really!) I put the bought top on the fabric and drew around it, in a wobbly line. Then with a shaky hand I cut out two layers of the fabric. Then I cut the wobbliest bits off. Next step was the sleeves. I genuinely have NO recollection how I did the sleeves other than i know I wanted puffy sleeves, so must have planned it out as it’s happened.

As it was over a year ago, I assume I pinned it all together then stitched it. Double stitch along the back collar to neaten it up. And that’s how it sat, in a little almost finished bundle until yesterday.

I tried the top on and realised that there was NO WAY the top would fit because of my chest and because I hadn’t done anything fancy like darts or what have you. So I just cut down the middle of the front to about half way. Easy. I tried it on and it fitted. Woo! Next step was to finish off the raw edges round the front collar and the opening. I decided to face it – or possibly it was a half attempt at binding? I dunno. Anyway, I used some offcuts of the fabric and put right side to right side, stitched close to the edge, then folded it over and top stitched it (get me with my lingo, assuming its the right terminology…) then top stitched it again so there was a double stitch all the way around. I think it looked pretty neat. And I will wear it. Outside!

picture time:

image

The fabric is a sheer grey with pink butterflies. Don’t worry, I’ll be wearing a vest underneath…

image

A puffy sleeeeeve

image

Double stitching. I tried to neaten up the facing/inside fabric. But cutting it with a wobbly hand. Ach, I’m not bothered and it’s not a big deal.

I tried the top on to show my husband and he said that “it almost looks professional” which is a win in my book. Hooorah!