Sewing Projects · Uncategorized

I’ve been Me Made Maying

on instagram. Not here.

Ive worn everything I’ve made, most of them twice now. And it’s made me realise that I need to:

1) make more clothes

2) get better at fitting my clothes

so I’ve started making a new short sleeve topwith a FULL BUST ADJUSTMENT. This is PROPER FITTING STUFF, folks. Normally I just make things too big then shove in a dart or sew side seams narrower until it fits. But no more! I want my clothes to fit, not just be “not too big”.

anyway. Ill blog the top when it’s done. But I have no photos of my Me Made May journey so far because I delete them as soon a ive put them on instagram. You should be pleased not to see them though. You see, most people doing this thing either get someone else to take the photos, use a proper camera with a clicker thing or a proper sized mirror. I’ve just been taking photos in the grubby (since cleaned) mirror in the bedroom in the eighteen seconds I have spare in the morning. Lately, the photos have featured tired eyes, WTF eyebrows and a general air of “i will brush my hair when I’m good and ready”. Instagram can keep those photos, as far as I’m concerned.

aaaanyhoo. Must go. Toddler is awake and I’ve promised him chocolate buttons in return for not touching my sewing things. We both accept that I am the naive one in this arrangement…

Advertisements
Beginnings · Clothing · Sewing Projects

Drafting my own pattern

i decided that I need to start using up my fabric stash by actually making some clothes. I can’t keep pawing the nice fabric and googling interesting patterns forever, I need to just bite the bullet and, you know, SEW THE DAMN THINGS.

but what do I want to sew? That stumped me. I want to make some dresses and another pencil skirt, but in a different pattern to the last one. And I want some t-shirts that look well-made-not-made-by-accident. I do wear a couple of the tops I made earlier, but I’m not completely happy with the fit or the neck line.

The other problem I have is patterns. I’ve got a few that are ok, but I really wanted some raglan sleeve tops like thatDress-turned-into-a-top I altered . But I don’t have a pattern for that.

i KNOW. I thought. I will MAKE MY OWN PATTERN. must be easy.

i started drafting it last weekend, rolled out the giant roll of drawing paper belonging to the children and traced out the first piece. And was then joined by a toddler who wanted to join in.

 

image

He traced a few lines then demanded that i trap round his hand a few times.

Anyway, I rolled the paper back up and left it for another day. Today!  I have now traced out the back piece and the sleeves.

image

All I have to do now is mark it out properly on squared paper to make the lines straight and transfer it on to fabric.

 

which is another story really. I have LOADS of 1 metre lengths. In my head, that should be plenty for a top. Going by the patterns I have, tops seem to need about 1.5 metres AT LEAST. Another part of drafting my own pattern was a determined/headstrong thought that SURELY I could do a top in s metre. Surely.

i will let you know…

Sewing Projects

I’m making THE Easy Sew Skirt

Who else is inspired by “Me Made May”? I’m really inspired by the bloggers I see who have signed up to this and feel that whilst I’m not quite at the point where I can join in with “Me Made May”, one day I hope to have a small collection of clothes that a) I made and b) are actually wearable.

To kick start this, I thought I’d have a go at making something simple. A skirt! What could be simpler! So I turned to my trusty copy of “Sew Your Own Wardrobe” from the Great British Sewing Bee. See the skirt, read the instructions, make a pattern (once I realised after 20 minutes of looking at the paper patterns provided and rereading the instructions that I had to make the pattern…), cut the fabric and boom! Skirt!

Not *that* simple sadly. Like many other bloggers before me, I realised the dimensions given in the book (page 98) were totally wonky. I couldn’t make the pattern work on the dimension of fabric provided. Couldn’t work. No matter how I laid the pieces. No matter how many tiny hot tears of frustration I cried over the (now sodden) fabric. It just would. Not. Work. So I did what everyone else does, I googled and found the answer. It wasn’t me that was wrong! Oh frabjous day! The book was wrong.

The actual dimensions to cut out of the skirt piece are:

fold fabric, measure from the fold 17cm top and 22cm bottom, draw diagonal line from top to bottom. This, once unfolded, gives you a skirt piece of 34cm top and 44cm bottom. From then on it has been simple.

SO FAR. For this is a work-in-progress post. I always forget to take pictures until right at the end so thought that I’d do a WIP post for the first time.

image

Here is the fabric – -a lovely green  fabric with yellow lines on it. Saw the fabric and thought it would be perfect for the skirt. Here’s hoping…

The pattern calls for 4 skirt pieces to be cut, along with possible 2 waistband pieces (still not convinced I’ve got the right number). After a lot of time with my cutting wheel, I managed to mostly neatly cut out the pieces.

image

The book instructions suggest you make the pattern out of a newspaper page. I had no newspaper handy – there was a flurry of recycling just before I started which ruled that option out. But I do have quite a lot of paper chart pattern paper and some pattern plastic which I decided to make use of. I’ll keep the pieces to make more skirts, assuming I can pull this one off. Otherwise they will be recycled and never mentioned again. 

image

And now the final picture – the “where I got to before I started blogging this evening” picture. I’ve pinned all four skirt pieces together in readiness for sewing.  I’ll need to take a bit of a run up at it and hope with a fair wind and a napping baby I’ll be able to get this done in the next…ooh…year or so.

image